To ensure your new diamond jewellery continues to look great and stand the test of time, it’s so important you properly maintain it. Everyone’s jewellery requires care and the occasional clean-up. If you're not sure where to start, we're here to help with our quick top tips to help you learn about how to clean and care for your gold, Diamond, and gemstone jewellery.
- Always remove diamond jewellery before taking a shower
- Use hot soapy water and gentle brushing with a soft-bristle toothbrush.
- Use a solution of one-part ammonia to six-parts water, rinsing well to renew the brightness.
- After cleaning, rub gently with a soft cloth to accentuate your diamonds shine.
- Remove diamond jewellery when applying creams/sunscreen/Perfumes/hairspray.
- Avoid touching diamonds with your fingers, as smudges can affect a diamond's luster and fire.
- Get your jewellery washed to get rid of unwanted dirt from time to time.
- when removing rings, you should always ensure to pick it up by its band, not by the stone or setting.
- Always remove Gold jewellery before Swimming. Chlorine isn’t kind when it comes into contact with gold and can discolour and even damage the metal if it is regularly submerged.
- Never use toothpaste to clean gold, Toothpaste is designed to keep your tough teeth enamel clean; on gold it can cause a great deal of damage if used often.
- Remove your gold jewellery while using cleaning products, such as bleach or everyday cleaning spray.
- Avoid chlorinated shower and hot tubs.
- Use a clean, dry, fabric-lined jewellery box to store gold jewellery.
- 22K jewellery is softer than 18K jewellery and needs to be handled carefully.
Gemstones are softer than diamonds, thus needs extra care while wearing as well as storing. Cleaning gemstone jewellery can be done warm water and a gentle colourless detergent to remove dirt and grime. You can also use a soft brush or cloth..
Jewellery with hard gemstones such as diamonds, rubies and sapphires are generally safe to clean in an ultrasonic cleaner, but other softer gemstones may not be. If you're not sure, avoid using an ultrasonic with gemstones.
Never use ultrasonic cleaners with pearls, and other soft gemstones as they are porous.
- Pearls can be discoloured by soap, perfume and make up, so take extra care.
- Never use silver dip or ultrasonic cleaners with pearls jewellery.
- Avoid wearing pearls in the shower as repeated contact with water and chemicals can permanently damage the stones.
- Store each pearl jewellery individually because the friction between the pearls can scratch each other, thus leading to a loss in lustre.
- Pearl necklaces need to be re-strung from time to time as the thread weakens making it susceptible to breaking.
- Avoid storing precious metal jewellery at a humid place, Humidity will speed up tarnishing a lot.
- Precious metal jewellery should be stored away from free flowing air
- Keep it in a pouch, small jewellery box or similar if you can.
Now your jewellery is nice and clean, have a think about how best to store it to avoid needing to clean it again too soon.